Wednesday 15 August 2012

Superhero Play - More thoughts about the Transformers play

I've done more thinking about my theory of 'princesses and fairies to girls is like Transformers and robots to boys'.

Girls explore the concept of good vs evil through relationships. The princess   tries to find her prince charming; to get along to her evil stepmother and ugly step sisters. Boys explore the concept of good vs evil through battles and wars. While girls narrate their fantasy stories and draw pictures, they express their vision of beauty, kindness and love . Their languages for communication include drawing, writing stories, dancing, and dramatic play. Boys learn kinesthetically and involve themselves in bold actions, physically and actively. Their values are courage, bravery, taking risks, challenging themselves. Their languages include physical body contact, dramatic play.

Just share some observations at kindergarten.

A boy invited me to play, assigning me to be the baddie, I asked what I need to do. He explained that I needed to shoot him, wielding his finger gun. Could he be exploring the feeling of fear? It is sure that he felt safe in this baddie vs the good guy game, there was no real danger. Perhaps he was trying to overcome his fear, his sense of insecurity through 'beating' with the 'baddie', who was a teacher and is supposed to be kind and caring!  I think children don't always feel safe. They are aware of dangers in this world. The child's world is not totally innocent.

Conversely, another boy claimed that he was a baddie, and I'm supposed to chase him and catch him. I had the impression that he was testing the boundaries and limits of acceptable behaviors. He normally follows routines and rules, probably dare not to break the rules, knowing that there will be consequences. So, acting out the role of baddie in his dramatic play could his way of learning about the world?

Well, I will keep my eyes and ears open and to watch and listen for more .

more insights about boys...

No comments:

Post a Comment