Tuesday 7 August 2012

More on Creativity

Children's art expression reflects their artistic skill. The question is how do we, as teachers, strengthen children's artistry?

I believe that we need to know a bit about art theory/the elements of art so that we can contribute to children's artistic development. With some knowledge in relation to art, we are able to talk with a child about the color, shape, line, form, texture in their art work. With some knowledge about the principles of balance, contrast, promotion, pattern, rhythm, we are able to give advice, suggestion, additional ideas to children.

I've been busy working with children for the kindergarten art exhibition in a month's time. I consciously incorporated art elements and principles in my discussion with children when they are engaged in art. I'm pleased to assist children getting to know the elements of art and learning how to use them in their creative process.

pinching with fingers adds texture to the clay dinosaur
Meanwhile, my children are working on clay sculpture. I shared my ideas about texture. The children were aware that they could change the surface quality of their clay work to create a 'feel' or 'look' of smoothness, roughness,softness and so on. Also, we talked about various forms of clay work, such as  cylinder, sphere, and pyramid, also drawing attention to the height, width and depth.

Creativity can flourish when it is motivated. So the important event of art exhibition enables me to work closely with children with a strong focus on art. Nevertheless, there should be a balance between extending children's artistic development and letting children to explore freely. It's up to individual teacher to decided when and where to get involved or stay away.

No comments:

Post a Comment