Friday 11 May 2012

Cooking with young children - food for thought

We all know baking embodies a lot of learning. However, the ingredients choice may present some difficulties. Cakes and biscuits are now considered as unhealthy food by some people. Apart from the sugar and fat content, food coloring also has been a concern. A family at my kindergarten leads a natural lifestyle, totally free of artificial coloring and food additives. I am well aware of that too. However, when I decided to bake a rainbow cake with bold food coloring, the family showed concern. She unwillingly let her child have a tiny piece of cake, expressing that she had no choice under the circumstances. Previously, I thought it should be ok as food coloring was something I do not use often. Also, I gave out the cake at home time, when parents could say no to the cake.

That evening, I kept thinking about the concern of that mother. I have been thinking should I do more to promote healthy eating, as an early childhood teacher? Have we done enough to stress about cake and biscuit are treat? Is food coloring so evil? How much do I know about food additive?

I decided that family's wishes and views do matter. I would like her to know I do care and do listen. So, the next day, I baked with children again. Back to the basic cupcake recipe. No frills, no additive.

No comments:

Post a Comment