Tuesday 15 May 2012

celebrate cultural diversity

One day, a child found a Japanese Kimono at the dress up corner and asked me what country it was from. I explained that it was from Japan, just like another girl at kindy. I told her the Japanese girl was born in New Zealand, and her parents travelled from Japan to live in New Zealand. That child thought for a moment and said her father loved to travel too. Her Dad had travelled all around the world to look for her Mum, until he found her at the Ise of Man. What a romantic story!

At mat-time, I shared the conversation with all the children and read a book about Japan. Before they go home, I told them and their parents I was glad that we all came to the same kindy even some of us might be from a faraway country. Cultural diversity certainly enrich our kindy programme.

No comments:

Post a Comment