Tuesday 18 September 2012

digital photography with young children

Recently, a few children asked me to take photographs of their drawing and construction. I just gave them the camera and let them explore and experiment with it. It's good that digital camera doesn't have the cost implication, and children are allowed to take as many photos as they like.

Moreover, the children are free to make the decision as to what angle, which focus, or what perspective they want to document. This is particularly relevant with construction. Previously when I took photos for the children, I usually shot from the bird eye's view, showing the structure as a whole. But the children often requested me to capture particular parts of the construction with special meaning or of interest to them. Now I learn to let them take control of the camera and literally take responsibility for the documentation/assessment process.

In New Zealand, we value self-assessment by children. Through recording and sharing their artwork or construction, children are contributing to their own assessment. They are developing a sense of what counts as good work, which is the growing curve of a confident and competent learner.

I find time and freedom are the best support to emerging photographers. A little girl has taken plenty of photos of her block construction, while she was standing, bending down on her knees, from a distance and shooting up close. Eventually, she discovered her feet!  Apart from that, she was quite focused on her construction. Interestingly, another little girl, who has taken 39 photographs today, moved quickly from her drawing to other children and people around kindergarten. She seemed to be more interested in people than objects. She really enjoyed using the camera, as she walked around instructing her friends to pose for her. Or, was she enjoying the 'power' of controlling the camera and telling people what to do?

The way that children use camera is intriguing. I thought I might need to do some more reading about it, so I have been doing some research online. I'll share them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment