Tuesday 27 September 2011

immigrant children: call me loyal


About a sense of belonging, I want to share this story: 

Last few weeks, everything was about Rugby World Cup, so at kindergarten we made flags for the All Blacks. A carefully copied the design of the All Blacks flag and made one. And then, he said with determination, 'I want to make one for Country B too! ' (where he originally came from) I said, 'of course, go ahead.' And he did. 


Today, we visited the Botanical Gardens, there was a rugby jersey competition. A few children showed interest and started designing and colouring in. At first, A was immensely focused on the activity sheet he was working on, but then he decided to join in and create a Rugby jersey for …Country B, of course!

He created some designs and wrote down 100 on the jersey, which is his favourite number. And then he asked me to draw the flag of Country B for him because he did not know how to do it properly. I honestly told him I could not recall how the flag looked like, and I could only remember some stripes and the star at the top corner. Immediately, A corrected me, ‘the star??? Do you mean the sun?’ Sorry, A, I was wrong, and you are right.

I’m so glad that A enjoys New Zealand as well as feel proud of the country he came from. He stands tall in both worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment